Thursday, February 7, 2008

Introduction to World of Warcraft

If you read the description of the blog just under the title, you will see several subjects of interests that I have not touched yet, such as soccer or role playing games. I thought that I would give a brief overview of the other one, World of Warcraft.

For those who do not know about it, World of Warcraft is a computer game, more precisely a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, or MMORPG for short. To sum it up briefly, it is a game where you play the role of a character in a fantasy world, fighting monsters and completing adventures (called quests) to advance your character. Different types of advancement exist and are usually not mutually exclusive: you can gain levels, your character becoming stronger and stronger as he goes from level 1 to level 70, equipment to improve your abilities, gold, used to purchase items from computer-controlled character (called NPC for Non-Player Characters) as well as from other players.

For more information on the game, you can visit the official site at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com or http://www.wow-europe.com

I started playing the game in June of 2005, so I have quite some experience already. I used to raid in the days prior to the Burning Crusade extension and went through Molten Core, Blackwing Lair and Zul Gurrub before leaving the game for some time and returning with the release of the extension. I did some Kharazan before transferring to my current server, downing Attumen and having good (but unsuccessful) attempts on Moroes and the Maiden of Virtue. I am now no longer in a guild (technically, I am still in one, but it only contains my wife's characters and mine!), as I can't and don't want to plan my game time as much as I was able to in the past and I don't like the idea of showing up only when a raid is taking place and stealing a spot from someone who's there all the time for the guild.

Though I have characters on several servers, I am usually found playing one of three toons on Les Sentinelles, a realm on the French-speaking European servers.

Rumblebelly is my main, the character I have played the longest and still play most. He is a level 70 gnome mage, specced frost/fire. At the moment, apart from some daily quests (cooking and Shatari Skyguard), I also farm for my lower level alts to smooth their arrival in Outlands and send some gold their way to raise their profession. My main activity, though, is pvp as I am trying to earn honor to be able to update my equipment with season 1 pvp gear. I suck at 2v2 arenas, but I give it a try each week with my wife's feral druid to earn some other equipment pieces. We also have great fun trying to duo lower level instances; our last attempt (and success) was the Ramparts.

Thariol is a level 44 human warrior, working towards a 31/30/0 spec, that I play with my wife's retribution paladin. Our goal is to reach level 70 before the next expansion hits and if it is still a long time away, try to work on a tank/healer combination for instances. This is the main reason behind our desire to reroll this duo. My wife's druid used to be specced balance and it was incredibly difficult to find groups to run instances as two dps classes. Hopefully having both the tank and the healer will give us more freedom when looking for groups.

Grogam is a level 61 BM-specced orc hunter. I wanted to roll a hunter since I discovered the incredibly useful and funny blog Big Red Kitty. We decided to give the Horde a try and my wife rolled a shadow priest. They are currently staying put at level 61 ready to start questing in Outlands. Unless we have a change of heart, they will stay there until the release of Wrath of the Lich King, kind of an insurance policy if Northrend proves to be overpopulated and we might want to decide to play them in the then-deserted Outlands.

In the future, I will probably go into more details about some of these characters. I will maybe even try to get my wife to write a bit about her characters and her opinions about my posts, just to give you some perspective. Another idea I just had writing this is to write a comparison between the different styles of play due to the different duo we're playing. The Hunter and Priest are kings when it comes to higher level mobs but the Warrior/Paladin are great when it comes to fighting multiple mobs. The mage and druid don't offer much in synergy, but that is due to the fact that my mage was already level 60 when my wife started playing, so synergy between characters was not on our mind when my wife created her druid.

No comments: